Historically, operators have exhibited anomalous charging: every industry except mobile operators charges for speed.
When 3G launched there was a clear “go-to-market” pattern in most markets.
Prices per month were static or decreased, data allowances remained constant or increased – effectively giving more speed for less money!
So, how do you maximise revenue from 4G LTE?
There’s no general answer: as always, it depends on several factors regarding the operator’s situation and positioning:
- Internal perception of 4G LTE: is it driven by technology or marketing?
- Data market maturity: what are your subscriber growth expectations?
- Operator market position: are you a leader or a challenger?
- Current 3G network utilisation: is it almost full or does a capacity surplus remain?
- Brand promise/proposition: are you a value brand or a no-frills brand?